Job Title: R&D Technician
Reports to: Fruit Formulation & Process Manager
Key Internal Partners: Marketing, Industrial Team, Operations Purchasing & Quality
Key External Partners: Suppliers, Service Providers and Laboratories
Project Management: No
Location: Nampa, ID
The R&D Technician is responsible for supporting the R&D Project Leader / Manager in the creation and optimization of recipes, processes, trials, and analysis on raw materials and finished products. The R&D Technician ensures best practices and maintaining the R&D Laboratory.
Job Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Assist the R&D Manager in the trials needed during the development phase
- Provide support to trial preparation (gather raw materials, needed supplies in advance)
- Gather data and support data analysis to write trial reports
- Prepare and ship samples when needed
- Attend the trial when needed
- Maintain R&D documents and electronic files
- Create conditioning sheets
- Create raw material and recipe specification
- Create or update Bill of materials
- Write and submit purchase orders when applicable.
- Manage the R&D team’s purchase orders
- Create and submit the purchase order.
- Check the deliveries.
- Check the invoices and submit for payment.
- Ensure best practices in the R&D lab
- Keep the equipment and tools in the proper working condition (maintenance and washing
- Evaluate the lab needs, organize the storage and optimize it
- Keep track and inventory of the small supplies (containers, buffer solution, pails, empty pouches, caps…)
- Ensure that the good quality practices and procedures are well followed and put in place in the lab
- Ensure that the analytical equipment are accurate (calibration and respect of handling procedure)
- All other duties as assigned
Key Performance Indicator (KPI):
- Quality: Percentage of first-time right batches, amount of lost time for rework, feedback from marketing favorable on samples received
- Industrial: Active participation in industrial trials – percentage of, cross-functional personnel feedback favorable
- Operational: Number of process improvement (intra-department) initiatives, number of SOP, percent consistency with day-to-day activities
- Development: Additional training (conferences, classes, etc) – number of
- HS Diploma or GED
- Associate or Bachelor degree in Food Sciences or related degree preferred
- PC skills: windows, excel, word
- Basic working knowledge
- Able to deliver on time, with guidance
- Basic troubleshooting skills
- Excels in the management of personal tasks and objectives.
- Actively contributes ideas for continuous improvement
- Strives to execute agreed objectives
PHYSICAL & TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able work in normal office conditions and in the manufacturing plant.
- Must be able to wear PPE
- Must be able to work a minimum 8 hours per day and be on his/her feet for extended periods of time.